The Radioactive Spider....

After my meeting today with my oncologist the decision was made to go with radiation.  This was really a choice that was weighing on me for the last few weeks. Obviously going in to get results after six months of chemotherapy I was ready to hear that I was all clear. Just ready for the follow ups for the next two years. Unfortunately as small as this little spot is, it was enough of a concern to my oncologist to give me options to remove it and do radiation or remove it and find out that I still have cancer and do a new round of stronger chemo and a bone marrow transplant. So with all the information I had at my disposal and speaking to the surgeon and the radiation oncologist I presented my case and decided against having surgery and going right for radiation.
The fact that they do not know what this is. The fact that It may be nothing but scar tissue does not in my mind justify a very invasive surgery in my chest. After weighing out all the options my oncologist was comfortable with my decision. Now that I have a plan in place I meet with Radiation Oncologist to go over orientation. Unfortunately radiation will be in Naperville because they are the only facility in Illinois that has proton radiation. This will be safer for someone my age and not do any damage to my heart or lungs. Possibly I may get bitten by a spider and well you know the rest. I got a call today that this Oncologist from Naperville will be at Illinois Masonic tomorrow and if I want to come in and meet with him there so I do not have to drive way out to Naperville just to have a talk and meet with him.
So back in the car tomorrow afternoon and off to the hospital I go again. This will be a initial meeting to go over the plan. While my journey is not quite over I do feel good about the next steps. This will be the final hurdle to put all this behind me. I was hopping for a bigger Christmas present but I will take this with a smile and go forward. With all that has happened this year and all the bullshit I have gone though I am just happy to be on my feet and moving in the right direction. Not much time for any other crap in my life when all this is on my mind and need to keep that living in the now attitude.

SMIB \m/



Comments